Engine tuning involves fine-tuning the engine of your car to increase performance, improve power delivery, and reduce fuel use. To sell their models in as many markets as possible, manufacturers restrict the output of their engines.
One of the oldest engine tuners is Superchips, which was founded in 1977. The Buckingham-based company could only provide a limited selection of adaptations for four automobiles when it first opened for business. It was performing 30 upgrades on average per month. It currently has information for more than 4500 unique makes and models, and it updates 600 vehicles each month.
What Does Engine Tuning Change?
Companies that specialize in engine tuning frequently assert that they can boost an engine’s power, torque, and even fuel efficiency. However, due to the impact of driving style, precise statements on the latter are less frequent.
The managing director of Superchips is Ian Sandford. He asserts that it takes the business around a year to create a tuning upgrade for a new vehicle or engine.
Although the majority of consumers are lured to an engine’s power outputs, according to Sandford, they should pay more attention to the torque. This is what pushes you toward the back of a road car and makes it easy to drive.
His company mostly works on models from the Volkswagen Group, including Audi, Seat, Skoda, and Volkswagen. The new generation of compact, turbocharged petrol engines has led to a boom in petrol models where before drivers would bring their diesel vehicles to the mechanic.
“The gains with a turbocharged petrol engine are easy to achieve,” claims Sandford. A Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI from 2008 to 2013 is an excellent illustration of these upgrades. While the torque rises from 200Nm to 239Nm, the horsepower jumps from 120bhp to 153bhp.
Or the popular Golf GTI, starting in 2009. This is said to increase from 207 horsepower to 251 horsepower and from 280 Nm to 353 Nm.
How Much Does Engine Tuning Cost?
Superchips charges £332 for a VW Golf GTI engine tuning package. The Golf 1.4 TSI variant starts at £399.
The cost of an Audi SQ5 diesel upgrade from TDI Tuning is £296. This results in a power increase of 309bhp to 371bhp and a torque increase of 650 to 748Nm.
How Do You Complete Engine Tuning?
One of two methods is commonly used to upgrade the ECU in your car. The first is taking your car to a shop as is customary. The technician then inserts the new code into the engine’s computer while you enjoy a cup of coffee.
However, sending clients a unique diagnostic tool from the manufacturer is becoming a more and more common strategy. Similar to inserting a USB memory stick into a computer, this connects to the car’s computer port and launches the new program.
In either case, it’s crucial that the business permits the client to restore their vehicle to its initial configuration should they choose to do so, according to Ian Sandford of Superchips.
Six Common Tuning Methods
- Method: Chip tuning:- We refer to chip tuning when power is increased only by modifying the engine’s electronics. Here, we have a choice between using updated software and adding a second ECU. In either instance, we benefit from the fact that engine makers never employ the entire engine’s power spectrum. For instance, we adjust the boost pressure control, the timing of the injections, and the fuel output. By doing this, we already have the ability to boost power and torque without adding any additional mechanical components. In order to improve engine performance, electrical tuning is always a wonderful place to start.
- Method: Turbocharger and compressor tuning:- After chip tuning, a common tuning technique is to update the turbocharger or supercharger and tune the intercooler for it. The engine may burn more fuel thanks to the turbo’s usage of the exhaust gases to provide more fresh air. A bigger turbo can consequently deliver more air. The fuel-air mixture is compressed and pumped into the engine via a supercharger. Because of this, choosing the appropriate intercooler is crucial in this situation.
- Method: upgrade air filter:- Since cotton filters are significantly more permeable than conventional paper filters, we typically choose them when calibrating the air filter. Some oil-free, handmade sports air filters even have lifetime warranties. They offer more power through improved filtering properties, better sound, and enhanced airflow. There are open cone-shaped air filters in addition to replacement filters. It may be a bit over the top to refer to tuning while changing the air filter because it requires relatively little work. However, because the intake air needs to be pleasant and cool, you also need to adjust other parts.
- Method: Intake and exhaust ducts:- You probably also consider adjusting the intake and exhaust ducts immediately if you want to noticeably boost the performance of your engine. because many tuning components are plug-and-play both for the exhaust system and the intake system. We really like the powerful racetrack sound of the exhaust system. Here, the downpipe is where it all begins because it significantly lowers the exhaust backpressure and boosts power (always in addition to other measures). You can also choose a sports catalytic converter if you want to take it a step further. A sports catalytic converter, as its name implies, is made to fulfill the demands of motorsport. It does this by lowering the thermal load on the engine, significantly reducing exhaust backpressure, producing a sporting, rich sound, and, last but not least, adding more power.
- Method: Increase displacement:- Increasing the displacement, with which the potential performance stands and falls, is one of the more difficult but also common engine tuning techniques. Reboring, as the process is known, isn’t technically tuning because we’re maximizing the existing displacement here rather than changing it. The cylinder bore is widened during reboring to allow for more overall fuel-air mixture combustion, which boosts power. It’s crucial to consider the cylinder’s minimum wall thickness when extending the piston stroke. If the bore cannot be done, for instance, if your block is made of aluminum, you can switch to cylinder heads that are the right size. A piston and conrod that are proportionately bigger are needed when changing the displacement size.
- Method: Change the engine:- However, this does not lessen how much fun it is to drive. The benefits are obvious: We understand engines and how their many parts interact as a result of our extensive experience. We are able to get the most power possible from each engine because we are aware of what goes together and what doesn’t. You receive total power, the most driving enjoyment, and a massive sound all at once. Simply get in touch with us, and we can discuss your ideal engine.